Friday, November 25, 2011

Help! Squirrel attacked me this morning~WHY?

I had just gotten out of my car early this morning and started to make my way across the driveway when I heard something like a cross between a cat mewing and hissing. I didn't see anything, kept walking and all of a sudden a squirrel came rushing at me making these ugly noises and trying to bite me. I jumped on top of my car. The squirrel stayed on the edge of the driveway and whenever I attempted to get off the car, lunged at me. Within a minute or so, I had 7 squirrels around the car making horrible chatter and lunging at the car but never attempting to actually get onto it. I was scared out of my mind!





I have 4 large trees in front of my house that the squirrels hang out in apparently and now as soon as I try to leave out the front door, they race to the stoop!





I called animal care and control, but apparently they thought it was a joke and thentold me Chicago has no provisions for squirrel control.





Why are they doing this? I hate squirrels! How can I get rid of them?Help! Squirrel attacked me this morning~WHY?
I have had a similar experience, I believe you. I think that squirrels are social creatures and if one decides that you are a threat the others will back him up. It is also possible that these are young squirrels that are siblings and the mom has kicked them out of the nest to seek their own food. They haven't learned fear of humans yet, and now it is too late. I suspect that you have a neighbor that has been feeding them, that has suddenly stopped , either they saw the problem multiplying with tamed, hungry, fearless, rodents, or they went out of town. Call a pest control expert, pay for the service, it is worth it. OR you can trap them yourself. Get rat traps at Home Depot and gloves. Home Depot also has electronic pest deterrents for $8 that really work. Put one in your attic, crawlspace, garage. Good luck, be careful.Help! Squirrel attacked me this morning~WHY?
Absolutely hilarious scenario. I hope your problem gets solved. The answer given is good enough. Personally, I'd just go with the suggestion of trapping or killing them. You can also give them a bit more time and they will settle down. As others have noted, they are probably young squirrels.

Report Abuse



they heard you were NUTS. LOL
Originally, I thought maybe it had rabies...but if you say there were 7, that seems unlikely. The whole story seems a little bogus, but I believe you. Don't have any other suggestions though. One things for sure...don't let them bite or scratch you!
This is the time of the year when squirrels have just had their young and apparently feel that you and your car are a threat to the babies. I know all about Animal Control in Chicago. Been there and done that. Everything is a joke. They wont catch and release skunks or raccoons as they have potential rabies so they just kill them and charge you. Try parking your car farther away from the trees where you are not crossing thier paths. Squirrel babies will be on their own in several more weeks. Sorry, that is about all I can tell you. However, I do have another idea. I kept squirrels from bothering me and my garden by putting out a corn feeder and and piles of nuts in the shell. They bought into my';filthy lucre'; and left me and the garden alone. Try a peace offering of food and let them see you putting out the food. That's it for now.
You could have a rabid squirrel which is very dangerous. Call animal control back and tell them that.





Shoot them or put out poison if no one will help you.
Call a pest control service, they will round them up...the same people that take care of rats.


If you got bitten, you need to go see a doctor, no telling what diseases those little animals have.


I have them in my backyard, and they are very docile, and kind of fun to look at when you wake up in the morning, but if they bit me, i would twist their heads off with my bare hands.
I don't know how you can get rid of them, but you do need to be careful, as squirrels carry rabies... No kidding. They are dangerous and you are right to be scared. Have you thought about calling the SPCA? They might have some ideas... But here are a few links that may help:





http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professio鈥?/a>


http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirre鈥?/a>


http://www.pestrepellerultimate.com/goog鈥?/a>


http://www.rodenator.com/





Sure hope this helped you!
He is probably an Alpha type. When you showed him another squirrel, he felt threatened (jealous) and wanted you to know. This is the way with non-domestic animals. It sounds like you have lost a pet and now have a wild animal caged in your home.
You just need to kick a little squirrel butt. Make an example out of one of them and you will have their respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment