Friday, November 25, 2011

How do I keep squirrels from eating my tulip bulbs? I tried soap shavings last year and that didn't work.

I bought four dozen bulbs last year from a country stand in rural Illinois. The lady gave me a bunch of hotel soap and she said to use a cheese grater to put shavings over the bulbs. The shavings worked for like a week until it rained. The soap dissolved and squirrels ate my bulbs the next day. Only two flowers came up the following spring.





Please give me tips on what you have used and WHAT WORKED FOR YOU. Please don't toss in your two cents like ';Try this'; or ';How 'bout that';. This is Yahoo! Answers and not Yahoo! Take a Guess. Thanks!How do I keep squirrels from eating my tulip bulbs? I tried soap shavings last year and that didn't work.
Put moth balls in the planting hole, then sprinkle some moth crystals around, after you have finished planting.





If you really want to have some overkill, wrap the bulbs together in a bundle of chicken wire or mesh screening. I usually put 3, 5 or 7 bulbs in a hole at a time.





When they come into bloom, here is a recipe for keeping critters from eating the flowers:





Get a Watering Can





Tinkle in it





Add a Beer





Squirt in some dish soap---like Dawn or Joy--not Cascade





Toss in a Cigar





Empty hair from a hairbrush, and toss that in





Dump in a container of cayenne red pepper %26lt;99cents at CVS Drug Store%26gt;





Fill watering can to the top with water.





Stir with a stick, and leave outside overnight





When the buds are just beginning to open, sprinkle contents of the watering can on the plants.





Repeat, after each rainfall.





I think you will be a happy camper! This concoction really works!





PS...I couldn't agree more with your position regarding ';try this'; or ';how about that';!!!How do I keep squirrels from eating my tulip bulbs? I tried soap shavings last year and that didn't work.
Human hair spread over the ground where the bulbs are. You can get the hair from any hairdresser. Wild animals (deer, squirrels, skunks) find humans and our smells to be scary, so the avoid them thinking we're still there.
Cayenne pepper, and garlic cloves
sprinkle ground hot pepper around the area.
if you have a cat the litter box dumpings around the flower bed,


cats and squirrels dont get along. If they think a cat is near by, they wont come near.


Cats love to eat squirrels.


Cat pee, dont go away that easy.
Use squirrel repellent spray.


http://www.builderdepot.com/seo/birdx/21鈥?/a>
Moth Balls, they don't like the smell and will hold up longer than pepper. We use them under our house in our crawl space to ward off mice and snakes. So far we have had niether under our house. This also works to keep dogs and stray animals out of your flower beds.
Sprinkle Cayenne Pepper in the garden after planting the bulbs. Squirrels and other animals hate it.
Pepper works but you need to apply it about once a week. It worked for my tulips. But that didn't keep them off of my tomato plants. My great grandmother told me to clean out a hair brush and put your hair around it. That was the only thing that kept them away from my tomatoes.
Squirrels ARE a real problem. I use 22 cal CB caps

No comments:

Post a Comment