Friday, November 25, 2011

The squirrels in my garden bury the peanuts i feed them..do they remember where they are after hibernation?

i always feed squirrels in my garden and i have been watching them bury the peanuts in the lawn...do they actually remeber where they put them?The squirrels in my garden bury the peanuts i feed them..do they remember where they are after hibernation?
i used to wonder the same thing growing up (right next to a forest), and I was surprised to learn that they don't remember the exact spots. they can usually remember the general vicinity of the nut and keep digging until they find one.





i was kinda disappointed... i thought they had super powered memory skills :-)The squirrels in my garden bury the peanuts i feed them..do they remember where they are after hibernation?
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. When they don't, this is when nature supplies them with more peanuts.
Actually squirrels really only remember about half of the locations they bury stuff in, lol.
As mentioned above, they only remember half of the time.


I feed ours the dry corn cobs and last spring I had 4 corn stalks grow in the backyard where they buried the kernnels!


For laughs, look up the Squirrel bungee online. I got one and they love it now that they're used to it! Lots of fun...
They only remember the general area, not the specific locations. Between this, a good sense of smell, and dumb luck they will find enough in early spring to stave off starvation - usually.
yes they will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment